Toxics Mapping Internship
From incinerators, to landfills, to hazardous waste sites, toxic sites dot Maine’s landscape. For example, over 500 hazardous waste sites and oil spill await cleanup. To help communities become aware of these threats, in 1999, we compiled a list of toxic threats across the state and mapped them in a report. Both the maps and the report are in need of an update so that we can continue to educate and organize the public around toxic threats in their own backyards. Toxics Action Center is currently looking for an intern who wants to gain experience in environmental research, toxics mapping, and writing reports. See existing maps and reports at http://www.toxicsaction.org/how-we-can-help/information.
- Research and compile a list of toxic threats across the state of Maine, including hazardous waste generators, active and inactive landfills, paper mills, water dischargers, power plants, and Superfund sites
- Create comprehensive maps of the most dangerous toxic waste sites in Maine
- Update the 1999 Toxics in Maine: Town-by-Town Profile report
- Commitment to environmental issues and social change
- Familiarity with either GIS or Google Earth
- Strong written skills
- Must learn quickly and work efficiently
Please email resume and cover letter to Bess at email@example.com.
Toxics Action Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the base of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Statistics for Action
Get Help Now
Get Email Updates
Sign up to join Toxics Action Center's email activist list.
We are currently recruiting for the following jobs:
- Community Organizer - Portland, ME
- State Director - Portland, ME
- Organizing Director - Boston, MA, Montpelier, VT, or Portland, ME
Click here to see internship opportunities.